Sunday 7 November 2010

Netgear + Windows 7 64bit... Terribad

Today was a very stressed day due to Netgear and their terrible support. To explain, I reinstalled Windows 7 64bit and was trying to install my Netgear WN111V2 wireless adapter, when I was then told via unofficial netgear forums that the drivers for this adapter didn't work for Windows 7 64bit. After researching the net and reading up on Netgear's website about the adapter, the only thing they had said was "We didn't want to make the drivers for the Beta of Windows 7." So where the hell are they now? Last time I checked, every computer bought at the moment has Windows 7 installed, many are 64bit, but most are 32bit. Now lets just say PC World were to do a bundle, a nice fast PC with Windows 7 64bit, oh and look you get a free Netgear WN111V2 adapter thrown in so you can connect straight away... Think again. I have to say their website seems to be the most useless website I have seen in terms of support. I had more luck on a Belkin forum that I did on the Netgear forum, and they're rivals.
Netgear WN111v2 wireless N adapter
 To be honest, the wireless adapter's by Netgear work relatively well most of the time, unless you happen to be running Windows 7 64bit as your operating system. There was another post that made me laugh, someone had said "You could always replace the 64bit operating system with the 32bit." This is probably the worst post I have ever seen... ever. Who would want to to replace the "faster and more capable" operating system with the "slower, restrictive" operating system settings. Honestly,,, why would anyone put that?

After a good 4 hours of trying and messing around with drivers and facepalm-ing at some posts on the netgear forum I decided to go to PC World and buy a new wireless adapter. I had Daz and Sophie at my house and they both recommended I give Belkin a go. So when I got to PC World I bought a Belkin F5D8053 v6 wireless 300n adapter. So far,,, everything has been perfect. No problems at all. Windows recognised and installed the drivers within seconds, and since then I have been getting a solid stable connection that hasn't dropped. I am up one floor and the on the other side of the house to where my router is situated and it is still keeping a solid 93% connection. In my eyes, that's high enough. 100% would obviously be best, but nothings perfect. For £30 I would definitely recommend this wireless adapter.
Belkin F5D8053 v6 wireless N adapter
 In other news, I have had to restart Fallout: New Vegas due to my hard drive wiping. Which I don't really mind too much about as the game itself is like... WOW, so that's alright ;D
   But to contrast this positive point, the new Windows Live Messenger installed on my computer through an update. And I have to say... DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT. I think it is by far the worst thing I have ever seen. You're contacts are tiny now and hidden away, and the MSN homepage has useless news that just sits right infront of everything else. It's easily the worst mistake I've made when installing new software on my computer. If you haven't downloaded it already, I'd wait it out until they cancel the other servers and you HAVE to download this. But for those that want to stare at pointless news articles instead of being able to find your contacts list, feel free to download it. Follow this link to download it.

Ultimate faggotry
 My final point of this blog post is to just get across my feelings towards the new Call of Duty: Black Ops. As we all know it is released this Tuesday, but for some sad members of our gaming society they're going to walk to their local Game store and stand outside in the cold for midnight release and get some raging hard ons over the fact they are within touching distance of it. To be honest, I enjoyed Modern Warfare 2 for about... an hour of first playing it. I loved it until people started spamming Akimbo Models, and the M16. I'm not going to sit here and cry over MW2, that's old news. I just want to say that in my eyes Black Ops looks rushed. The graphics looks terrible, the gameplay is just the same as every other Call of Duty game out. But the developers know it will sell cause most players slaughter it and then continue living on it after they've done everything on it. It's ridiculous, but the developers have got their customers right where they want them. If I were everyone I would save myself the £40 and buy a take away (£10), a G11 keyboard (£25) and the GTA collection off Steam (£5). Totaling around £40. Now that, would be my ideal Call of Duty midnight release.

No comments:

Post a Comment