Tuesday 2 November 2010

New additions to the PC :3

I have done three new things to my computer today, one is VERY boring, one is Okay, and one is pretty cool ;D

The boring thing first, I bought a new Hard drive to run as a slave along side my original. Initially to just increase space for more general rubbish on my pc :) but it's all good. I bought a 2TB Western Digital Sata II hard drive, installs fine, reads and writes pretty quick. I think its 7200rpm, so it's not as fast as velociraptors but it's still pretty rapid.

The second addition to the PC was a new mouse, I decided to go for a Razer mouse and I bought the Razer Imperator. I've always been quite dodgy with Razers, but this one seems to work perfect, it has 7 buttons in total, it has a massive 5600dpi for precision gaming, and is pretty lightweight so the sensitivity is perfect. The lazer on the mouse is 3.5G so it is extremely high tech and works on pretty much every surface, the same as the last. So where ever it is placed the mouse never lacks. The Razer gaming components are always reviewed by Swifty (Epic WoW Warrior) on his youtube channel  so that'd be pretty cool if you checked his stuff out, especially if you are planning on buying anything made by Razer I'm sure he will have some good and bad points about each component. I have only tried the mouse out with 2 games so far, these are League of Legends (LoL) and the new Medal of Honor, but the mouse worked perfectly with both and the high dpi count helped out a lot aswell, especially when sniping on MoH.

This is the Razer Imperator, as you can see it looks very nice in pictures, with the light up Razer logo on the body itself, and the LED's underneath the scroll wheel. The mouse looks perfect in my opinion and it is wired with specific material on the outside which prevents knots in the wire, which is even better for gamers who take their PC to other places. I went from not liking Razer mice to loving them just by risking this purchase, and I'm glad I chose to buy it. The prices of Razer mice are quite extortionate but to be honest, for everything you get and technology within them, it is definately worth the price.

Finally, the best part of today was performing an Overclock on my computer. My friend Fabio came over and showed me how much power I can actually push out of my processor. At the moment my current build is an i7 920 D0 processor clocked at 2.66ghz stock, a stock CPU cooler, 6gb ballistix DDR3 ram at 1600mhz, my graphics card is a ATI HD5770 and these are all sat inside a Coolermaster HAF 922 case, which I now know for a fact has an amazing amount of cool air that flows in and out of the case. Basically, this morning my computer was at the stock output of power, the i7 is a quad core, so it has a total of four cores working together inside the single processor. All of these cores were clocked at 2.66ghz. Tonight we overclocked my processor so each core was pushing out 3.7ghz. For those who don't know what is meant by overclocking, it is when the voltage is changed within the BIOS menu for the processor. Initially making it work harder and push out a lot more power. Considering I am still on a stock cooler, the temperatures I am getting from my processor are really low. The picture below are screenshots taken from two different programs that I use to monitor my computer power and temperature. These programs are CPU-Z and CPUID.


For those that don't know about these programs, the one on the left shows the temperatures of each of the single cores inside my processor. As you can see the lowest temperatures were between 51 and 44 celcius, and the highest temperatures they reached once the processor was being stressed was between 87 and 95 celcius. Although this sounds a lot it isn't actually that bad for the processor, and considering it is all on a stock fan, these temperatures are amazing.
The program on the right just reads every bit of power output on the PC's components. As you can see, the clock speed of the core is 3704.0Mhz which is 3.7Ghz, which is around 1.1Ghz more than the stock 2.66Ghz. You can really feel the difference from the overclock when gaming and generally using the PC :)

No comments:

Post a Comment